The types of exercises can range from chair exercises, walking, light dumbbells, bodyweight exercises, yoga, gardening, tai chi, and swimming. There are a variety of choices to fit your personal fitness goals. Any of these activities is good for elderly fitness.
Improve immune system
BENEFITS FOR THE ELDERLY
Here are some chair exercises for beginners and those with limited mobility:
1. Toe Tap- Sit on a chair, heels on the floor. Bend your toes up then down. Do 8-10 times.
2. Sunshine Arm Circles- Hold a ball above your head. Bend your elbows, circle in one direction, then reverse each time. Do 10 times.
3. Seated Row-Sit on edge of chair. Hold arms out in front with elbows bent. Pull your arms back as far as you can. Repeat 8-10 times.
4.Shoulder Shrugs- Shrug shoulders up toward the ceiling. Rotate your shoulders to the front then the back. Switch directions then repeat 10 times.
5.Tummy Twists- Hold a ball waist high. Twist to one side then the other. Do 10 times for each side.
6. Lateral and Front Raise- Arms at your side, palms down, raise your arms parallel to the ground. Lower and repeat. For front raises, bring arms to the front and raise to parallel. Repeat 10 times.
7.Hand Squeeze- Hold a ball out in front. Squeeze the ball trying to get the air out. This movement works the chest muscles. Do 10-12 times.
8. Glute Squeeze- Squeeze buttocks muscles together while sitting in chair. Hold and release 8-10 times.
9.Knee lifts- Slowly lift right knee toward chest. Repeat with your left knee. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
10. Knee extensions- Slowly lift the right knee in front of you. Repeat to the other side. Do 10-12 times each leg.
Chair Exercises with Weights
1.Shoulder Presses-seated with light dumbbell in each hand, press above head. Lower and repeat 10-12 times.
2.Lateral Raises-With dumbbells at sides, raise to shoulder height and lower for 10-12 times.
3.Triceps Extensions-With dumbbell in each hand, bring them up to shoulders. Elbows beside each ear, extend upward keeping elbows still. Lower and repeat 10-12 times.
4. Biceps Curl-Palms facing forward, curl each dumbbell up to shoulders, lower and repeat 10-12 times.
5. Front Raises-Palms facing down, raise each dumbbell parallel in front. Lower and repeat 10-12 times.
6.Calf Raises-Set a dumbbell on top of each thigh. Raise up on toes, lower and repeat 12-15 times.
No matter what your age, you can benefit greatly from gentle, moderate exercise. Try exercises for the elderly.(As always, check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.)
Return From Exercises For The Elderly to Senior Fitness
Return From Exercises For The Elderly To Contact